Snow crabs, often known as queen crabs, are the most delicious and succulent crab species. These crabs are favourites among seafood enthusiasts and a hit at summer cookouts, family reunions, and other special occasions. If you are searching for the best snow crab legs near me, then you should opt for Red Crab Juicy Seafood Restaurant. Our seafood boil restaurant has delicious snow crab recipes as we use only fresh and aromatic ingredients in our dishes.
Let’s have a look at basically what snow crabs are.
What are Snow Crabs?
The North Atlantic and North Pacific oceans are home to the majority of the world's snow crab populations. The sweet and delicate flavor of the crab makes it one of the most popular seafood options. Long legs and a spherical, hard shell give snow crabs their characteristic appearance.
Snow crabs can weigh up to 10 pounds and reach lengths of up to 3 feet. They are difficult for predators to attack due to their round, rigid shell that has a covering of tiny spines. The crab has a striking appearance, with long legs coated with tiny hairs that serve for swimming and walking around.
The North Atlantic and North Pacific oceans are the places where you may mostly find snow crab. They like sandy or muddy bottoms and live in depths ranging from 30 to 1300 feet. Additionally, estuaries, bays, and the shallow waters near the shore are all places where snow crabs are present.
As an omnivore creature, the snow crab consumes a variety of foods. They mostly eat plankton, tiny fish, and other watery organisms. Moreover, they also eat seaweeds and scavenge on dead organisms.
Harvesting and Fishing
Canada, Russia, and the US are the main fishing countries for snow crab. People catch snow crabs using crab pots that they place on the ocean floor. Furthermore, once they catch the snow crabs, they immediately supply to the seafood restaurants or cook them, or freeze them to maintain their quality. There are many recipes through which you can enjoy the succulent flavor of snow crab legs.
Here are a few of the recipes that you can employ to make the best snow crab legs.
Broiled Snow Crab Legs
Broiling is the best method of preparation for snow crabs. Broiling is the process of cooking food over high heat, generally from an oven broiler or a grill flame, producing a crispy and caramelized surface while keeping the interior moist and juicy. Here is a straightforward recipe that you may use for broiled snow crabs:
- 4–6 snow crabs (2–3 pounds altogether)
- Unsalted butter, half a cup
- Olive oil, ¼ cup
- Garlic powder, two tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- Paprika, 1 tablespoon
- Dried oregano, 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper, half a teaspoon
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped parsley
- Slices of lemon (for serving)
- Set the grill or the oven's broiler to a high temperature.
- Dry the snow crabs with paper towels after rinsing them in cold water.
- Cut the top shells of the crabs open with kitchen shears, then take out the gills and any other debris and then wash with cold water.
- To make it smoother for guests to extract the flesh, use a tool such as a nutcracker or a mallet to break the claws.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat. Stir in the olive oil, paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Use a pastry brush to evenly coat the crab meat with the butter mixture.
- On a grill grate or broiler pan, place the snow crabs and broil for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until the crab meat is golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top after removing it from the grill or the broiler.
- Serve the grilled snow crabs immediately, with lemon wedges as a side.
The finest way to eat broiled snow crabs is hot and fresh off the grill or oven. The spice combo of garlic and butter gives the meat a soft and tasty texture. For a spectacular seafood feast, serve them as an entree or an appetizer. Otherwise, you may visit a seafood restaurant near me to satisfy your seafood cravings.
Snow Crab Boil
The second best recipe is the Snow Crab Boil. Snow crab boil is a wonderful seafood dish that is simple to make and a favorite among many people. This dish has become prevalent among people looking for a quick and wholesome dinner because of its distinctive flavor combination. We'll give you a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the recipe for snow crab boil in the following paragraphs.
It's necessary that you have all the ingredients on hand before beginning to prepare the dish. The first ingredient is the snow crab itself that you can find in any seafood market or grocery store too. Or simply search for snow crab legs near me on the web and order from an online store with a good reputation. The following materials are necessary to make a snow crab boil:
- Five pounds of snow crab legs
- 8–10 small potatoes
- Two or three shucked and halved ears of corn
- One onion, quartered
- A single lemon, sliced into wedges
- Old Bay seasoning, one-third cup
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste
- Pour water into a big pot and bring it to a rolling boil.
- To the boiling water, add the potatoes, onion, and corn. Cook them for around 10 minutes, or until they are completely soft.
- Add the lemon wedges and snow crab legs to the same pot. The crab meat should become opaque and start to separate from the shell after an additional 5-7 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the pot from the heat and drain the water once the snow crab legs are done.
- Mix the potatoes, corn, and onion with the Old Bay seasoning. Mix thoroughly.
- Put the snow crab legs back in the pot and mix them well with the seasoned potato mixture.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges, melted butter, and your favorite dipping sauce.
The snow crab boil recipe is simple to make and only requires a short period of your time. This dish's flavor combination makes it ideal for any occasion, whether it's a dinner party with friends or a family get-together. You can now prepare a mouthwatering snow crab boil with the ease of your own home by following the simple directions above.
Steamed Snow Crab Legs
It is a tasty seafood dish that is quick to make and appropriate for any occasion. When you want to amaze your guests, visit seafood restaurants near me, or simply want to have a nice supper at home, this dish is ideal. Here is a quick recipe for steamed crab legs for you to follow:
- 1 pound of snow crab legs
- A half-cup of water
- Half a cup of White wine
- Butter, ¼ cup
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of the Old Bay Seasoning
- Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon
- Salt and Pepper according to taste
- Make sure that you thaw the crab legs properly before you do anything else. You can do this by putting them in a dish of cold water for a few hours or by putting them in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bring a big pot to a boil by adding 1/2 inch of water to it. Put a steamer basket in the pot after the water comes to a rolling boil.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over low heat before seasoning the crab legs. Stir together the butter with the minced garlic, Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Be careful to equally coat each crab leg with the seasoned butter as you brush it over them.
- Set the crab legs within the steamer basket and cover the saucepan with a lid to steam them. Until thoroughly hot, cook the crab legs for 5 to 7 minutes.
- When the crab legs are done steaming, take them out of the saucepan and place them on a serving platter. Serve with extra butter sauce, your favorite side dish, and a garnish of fresh herbs or lemon wedges.
- For a deeper flavor, use chicken or seafood stock instead of white wine.
- Add a little cayenne or paprika to the butter sauce to make it spicier.
- Avoid seasoning the crab legs with too much salt to prevent them from becoming too salty.
Ideal Beer and Wine Pairings With Snow Crab
You can choose from a wide range of beverages to go with dishes that contain snow crab. If you search for snow crab legs near me, then you’ll see the restaurants serving snow crabs also serve complementary beverages with them. There are several drinks, whether you like wine or beer, that goes well with snow crab's distinctive flavor and texture.
Consider a light, crisp, and energizing white wine if you intend to serve snow crab with wine. Snow crab meat has a delicate flavor that is rich in flavor and heavier wines can readily overpower it. The following wines are some of the top picks for dishes containing snow crab:
Sauvignon Blanc: This common white wine is identifiable by its fruity and herbal undertones. The acidity of Sauvignon Blanc serves to cut down the sweetness of the crab meat. Therefore, it pairs perfectly with snow crab meat.
Pinot Grigio: Another light and energizing white wine that goes well with recipes containing snow crab is Pinot Grigio. Its zesty flavor blends well with the crab meat's sweetness and richness.
Chardonnay: This wine is a fantastic choice if you prefer a more robust flavor. On the other hand, unoaked Chardonnay has a lighter, crisper flavor that will not dominate the delicate flavor of the snow crab, so be sure to select one of those.
There are several alternatives for pairing beer with dishes that contain snow crab if you like to drink it. Selecting a beer with a light, refreshing flavor is essential to counteracting the luscious smoothness of the crab meat. Here are some of the best types of beers to serve with dishes featuring snow crab:
Pilsner: Snow crab meals go well with this refreshing and light lager. It has a light flavor that won't mask the delicate crab meat flavor.
Belgian Witbier: Belgian Witbier pairs beautifully with the richness of snow crab meat thanks to its citrus and coriander aromas. Its flavor is light and energizing and goes well with the crab meat's creamy mouthfeel.
Pale Ale: A crisp, light pale ale is a suitable match for dishes with snow crab if you prefer a hoppier beer.
Frequently Asked Questions
You first thaw them, then either you can boil or steam them.
Snow crabs have sweeter meat than king crabs and possess a more savory flavor.
Yes! Steaming them is a better option because steaming retains the natural flavors of the meat.
If you want to find the best snow crab legs near me, then opt for Red Crab Restaurant as they serve top-notch seafood at reasonable rates.
Here were a few methods to cook snow crab legs in the best possible ways. However, if you’re on a rest day but still craving seafood, then you may look for snow crab legs near me.